Friday, December 18, 2015

ARC REVIEW: Passenger by Alexandra Bracken

Title: Passenger
Author: Alexandra Bracken
Release Date: January  05, 2016
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion



SYNOPSIS: (From Goodreads)
passage, n.
i. A brief section of music composed of a series of notes and flourishes.
ii. A journey by water; a voyage.
iii. The transition from one place to another, across space and time.
In one devastating night, violin prodigy Etta Spencer loses everything she knows and loves. Thrust into an unfamiliar world by a stranger with a dangerous agenda, Etta is certain of only one thing: she has traveled not just miles but years from home. And she’s inherited a legacy she knows nothing about from a family whose existence she’s never heard of. Until now.
Nicholas Carter is content with his life at sea, free from the Ironwoods—a powerful family in the colonies—and the servitude he’s known at their hands. But with the arrival of an unusual passenger on his ship comes the insistent pull of the past that he can’t escape and the family that won’t let him go so easily. Now the Ironwoods are searching for a stolen object of untold value, one they believe only Etta, Nicholas’ passenger, can find. In order to protect her, he must ensure she brings it back to them— whether she wants to or not.
Together, Etta and Nicholas embark on a perilous journey across centuries and continents, piecing together clues left behind by the traveler who will do anything to keep the object out of the Ironwoods’ grasp. But as they get closer to the truth of their search, and the deadly game the Ironwoods are play­ing, treacherous forces threaten to sep­arate Etta not only from Nicholas but from her path home . . . forever


REVIEW:
I'd like to thank NetGalley and Disney-Hyperion for providing me an e-ARC of Passenger in exchange of an honest review.
Everything about this book is new to me. Aside from being attracted to the book's cover, another reason why I asked for an ARC of this book is that after I watched Once Upon A Time. I started obsessing over Killian Jones a.k.a Captain Hook. I used to hate the idea of reading something which include pirates or even ships, now I wanted to give it a try, a chance. I was hesitant for I badly want to read it, but I don't want to dislike it.
First things first. The characters.
Nicholas Carter, a cool pirate. LOL. He knows when not to or when to give in to his anger. A real gentleman. Nich calculate things undoubtedly well, smart.
Henrietta Spencer, oh what a lovely name, is a concert soloist. Indeed, an outstanding protagonist. Who wants to make her mama proud. Who gave up everything for her debut. She's a full-spirited girl which made me like her more.
A 17-year old violinist who's about to make her dreams come true suddenly woke up in a different era, time. Information kept on loading, secrets that her mom, Rose, hasn't told her have been revealed. Secret including things about herself, their past.
The romance. Oh I really don't know what to say 'cause it was just so perfect, not too cheesy, not even boring, just average. And it kills me every time they spit out lines that literally send bolts of electricity through my veins.
“Know this, pirate,”he said, his hands gripping the railing, “you are my passenger, and I will be damned before I let any harm come to you.”She was unsure how to respond to the fervor of those words. “Another rule?”she managed finally. “A promise. If I see that you’re in danger from Ironwood, I will help you escape myself. But should you try to leave on your own, know that I will go to the ends of the earth to bring you back."
I almost lost air when I read that line. I loved how they developed, how their romance developed. There's only one thing I disliked, they happen to want each other in such a short period of time, but it didn't also bloom immediately. Also, it's a good thing that the story didn't just revolve around the lovers.
The story. Honestly, I was confused, I didn't know what was happening. I felt lost. I kept on re-reading some lines, parts. The whole thing was new to me. I've never read anything with violins, pieces, ships, directions, masts and oh, riggings. Some words, terms are new to me so I still need to Google it. I loved it though, how I've learned new things from this book. This book added knowledge. Yet I'm thankful that somehow, I've started understanding it. The story... it was epic! The word built was incomparable. Time traveling is a hard one to make, but the author has made a great work.  I just can't express my thoughts as to how her writing is so amazing I don't want to stop talking about it but I need to.
This book made me learn a lot of things. 
  1. Bravery when most of the characters like Etta, stood up for what they believe in. Fight for what they know is right.
  2. Freedom of choice.
"I want you to remember that— it’s our choices that matter in the end. Not wishes, not words, not promises."
     3. Time traveling. I've always seen time traveling as adventurous, exciting. Now that I've read this book it made me realize that traveling through time is beyond dangerous. I remember watching OUAT wherein characters were forced to travel time and they almost ruined someone's future. What happens when you try to alter the past? Well altering it means having to alter the future too. Bad or good things may happen. Worst is you maybe erased, you won't exist.
 Overall, I love this book! I adore it! But the ending, oh I so wanted to continue sobbing for the book ended beautifully, yet it'll leave you hanging. It'll leave you wanting more.
Hands down to Alexandra Bracken for making such a remarkable book!

RATING

2


BOOK REVIEWS (1)
Thank you for reading my book review!


No comments:

Post a Comment